Motorcycle, Car and Camper Insurance

Apexmoto Inc. has a fully licensed insurance broker on staff. Our insurance coverage is provided by Mitsui Sumitomo. We have experience with insurance sales and claims processing. We also carry out insurance repairs, from vehicle recovery to repair quotes through to the actual repair of the vehicle. We will provide advice you to ensure you achieve the best settlement in the event of an accident.

Types Of Insurance

Fundamentally, there are two types of insurance for motorcycles/cars in Japan. Jibaiseki insurance ( sometimes called Kyosei Hoken ) is required for registration/Shaken. It is a type of limited insurance that is mandatory. It does not cover any third party property damage and has limited cover for injuries to others. We strongly advise to have Ninihoken insurance in addition to the mandatory Jibaiseki insurance. Ninihoken can be optioned up to be quite comprehensive. Some options are

  1. Lawyer support – assistance from a Lawyer in the event of a dispute
  2. Double body cover –  extra cover in the event of the rider suffering a serious injury.
  3. Own vehicle cover – cover for accidents were no other vehicle was involved
  4. Extra personal and passenger cover – hospital cover
  5. Income loss support –  sustained injuries causing inability to work
  6. Wrecker service – basic cover included with every policy – now standard with all ninihoken policies


Jibaiseki Insurance

Jibaiseki insurance is mandatory as part of the Shaken system. It is required for all vehicles that are used on public roads. Even unregistered vehicles, on temporary plates, are required to have this insurance. Travellers who bring their own vehicle into Japan also need to have Jibaisek insurance to use public roads. The insurance rate is fixed by the government so there are no real advantages in pricing. However, if you purchase from Apexmoto via credit card or bank transfer, or in person, we can post the insurance certificate and sticker to you in advance. Jibaiseki covers injury inflicted on other parties in an accident. More information on Jibaiseki can be found here. Jibaiseki can be purchased by the month, but is usually purchased by the year. For tourists, in Japan with foreign vehicles, there is an extra fee of ¥3,500 per Jibaiseki issue. This is to cover extra processing time. Please note for Swiss and German vehicles, we will only issue Jibaiseki one time. Technically such vehicles are only allowed to travel on the roads to gain registration or any process associated with gaining registration. For most other countries, it is legal to drive your vehicles on the roads of Japan.
Please inquire here

Jibaiseki ( JCI ) Inquiry Form ( Mandatory Insurance )

required field
required field
Please let us know what type of vehicle and duration in month or years you want to purchase?
Please attach a photo of your license - top view
Please attach an image of your license - bottom
Please attach a picture of your Shaken

Your information is not stored online. This form submits your data direct to our office computers.

Ninihoken Insurance

Ninihoken is optional insurance ( but highly recommended by Apexmoto to avoid being sued for damages ).  In its basic form, it covers third party property damages and also extends the coverage included in Jibaiseki ( which is limited ) for bodily injury or death. Most customers choose unlimited cover. There are many options, including lawyer support, income protection, theft ( not offered by MS&AD ), comprehensive or cover for your own vehicle. Basic unlimited insurance cost about 53,000 for the 1st year for under 26yr olds and about 42,000/year if over 26yrs old. No claims discounts apply and can accrue up to about 45% of the policy cost over 5 years. We can now offer Ninihoken for temporarily imported vehicles as we can with Jibaiseki insurance.
Please enquire here

Ninihoken Inquiry Form ( Third Party Insurance )

required field
required field
required field
Please let us know what type of vehicle and roughly, the cover you are looking for?
Please attach pictures of your license top side
Please attached picture of your license bottom side
Please attach a picture of your Shaken ( title ) top side.

Your information is not stored online. This form submits your data direct to our office computers.

Back to top