Emissions Testing


Motorcycle Emissions Test Service

All imported motorcycles, over 250cc, that were manufactured after the 1st April 2001 and not originally manufactured to
Japanese national standards, must pass an emissions test, before they can be registered in Japan. There are only three facilities
that are accredited to perform the test and issue the certificate. Two are in Tokyo and one is in Osaka. Apexmoto uses the JATA Fusa
facility for all testing. The approved test facility allows two chances to pass the test, so if the first test is failed, there is one more
opportunity to apply a modification and re-test.

The test itself involves measuring emissions from the motorcycle while the engine is under load. There are idle and running tests
where the motorcycle is subject to varying loads and speeds. A custom dyno/load cell is used during most tests, so pre-test testing
is best done on a dyno.

Apexmoto has put together the equipment necessary to perform a pre-test where we can gauge if the motorcycle needs modification
to pass the emissions test. To do this we use a Dynojet 250i dyno and two Horiba gas analyzers.

Not all bikes can pass the emissions test, even motorcycles that are the same spec as domestic models. The test is much stricter than
the Shaken emisisons test. In particular, bikes that have not had regular maintenance, are less likely to pass. European models are
typically harder to get passed than Japanese or US manufactured models. Apexmoto does not guarantee that any bike can pass. The test
program is proprietary and the test specs are not public. We test based on our knowledge and experience.

Emissions – Apexmoto Fees & Costs

  1. OPTION 1: Pre-Test & Emission Test at JATA     –    ¥80,000 ( excludes JATA Test Fee )
    1. Fill in specification paperwork for JATA
    2. Pre test the motorcycle and advise on any adjustments.
    3. If fuel controller or ECU manipulation software is available, adjust the fuel to achieve pass level
      emissions ( limited to 4hrs on the dyno ).
    4. Weigh the motorcycle to confirm specs ( the test can be negated if the stated weight and the measured weight
      are too different ).
    5. Take the motorcycle to the test facility for no more than two tests ( does not include test fees ).
  2. OPTION 2: No pre- test    –    ¥37,000
    ( includes paperwork and test booking & 1 test at JATA. If you are pretty sure your bike will pass as is. To take the motorcycle for
    2nd test at JATA would cost additional ¥18,000 )
  3. OPTION 3: Pickup & delivery to your premises in Tokyo, Yokosuka, Yokota, Atsugi and Yamanashi    –    ¥19,000
    ( or rent a van and drop off an pick up and no extra Apexmoto cost ).
  4. JATA test on motorcycle manufactured pre September 2013    –    Approximately ¥100,000
    ( either 3 or 4, never both )
  5. JATA test on motorcycle manufactured September 2013 or later    –    Approximately ¥150,000
    ( either 3 or 4, never both )

Emissions – Self Service Fees ( At Apexmoto ).

  1. OPTION 1:    On-site rental of Horiba HC/CO analyser    –    ¥25,000
    ( limited to 3 x 30 minute tests sessions over a 3hr period ).
  2. OPTION 2:    Option 1 plus 40 minutes dyno time for emissions    –    ¥40,000
    ( more useful if you have a PCV/PC III or Tuneboy or TuneECU to adjust fuel ).

Brake Certificate

All motorcycles over 250cc manufactured after 1st July 1999 must meet Japanese brake standards.
Imported motorcycles must be tested to Japanese standards in Japan, or a letter of certification ( brake certificate ) from the manufacturer
must be provided. Apexmoto can request a Brake Certificate for you or you can do yourself. Typically this is best done in Japan, but can be
done from anywhere.

Riding Before Registering – Temporary Tag

It is possible to get a temporary plate and ride the motorcycle to the test facility or to the facility
that will manage the test for you. For this to be legal, the bike must have Jibaiseki insurance and
a temporary plate. Temporary plates can be organised at your local City Hall.

Temporary Plate Vehicle Classifications

  1. Normal passenger car (futsu jidosha)
  2. Lightweight “kei” car (kei jidosha)
  3. Large motorcycle (ogata nirin)
  4. Large truck (ogata torakku)
  5. Tractor trailer, etc… (ken-insha)

Jibaiseki Insurance

All registered and unregistered ( temporary plate ) vehicles driven on the roads in Japan, are required
to have valid Jibaiseki insurance. Apexmoto sells Jibaiseki insurance and staff are licensed to do so.
Please contact sales@apexmoto.jp with your inquiries.


If a Power Commander or tuner needs to be installed, there is an extra installation fee. The fee depends on
the device selected.


Not all bikes can pass the Japanese emissions test. A motorcycle that was not maintained or that has any type
of fault, failure or excessive wear, may not pass. Apexmoto does not guarantee a motorcycle can pass.
Apexmoto is not responsible for any mechanical failures that occur during testing or the test at JATA. The tests
are hard on the motorcycles, but a well maintained motorcycle will pass without failing.
Apexmoto is not responsible for small scratches or cracked or damaged plastics, that may fail due to age or
use, when being removed.


Diavel  ZX6R  Yuu

Back to top